In this unit you will use Microsoft Access to learn about the basics of databases, from collecting information to storing & analysing it by using queries and reports.
- Learn how data is stored in databases using tables, records and fields
- Understand the importance of data validation
- Learn to create functional solutions for data management tasks
- Use queries to interrogate data sets and reports to present results
We are teaching this unit using blended learning. You will be taught in lessons in class just as you always have, but you will also be given to extra resources to use out of school to help you learn the content effectively and prepare yourself for the assessment at the end of the unit.
If you have any questions about this or any other aspect of this unit, email your class teacher.
Lesson 1: Used Cars
Lesson 2: Queries with Pokémon
Lesson 3: Number Ones
Lesson 4: Pet Sitters
Lesson 5: Contacts
All content from this unit is summarised in the knowledge organiser. The version below includes links to further learning resources, and is available as a PDF.
Download PDF (164kb)
This is one of the more technical units in Key Stage 3 Computing, with 26 key technical terms to learn. Mastering these terms is essential if you hope to do well in the end of unit assessments, as you will need to be able to define key terms as well as understand them in task instructions. To practice your database vocab, use the flashcard activities provided for each lesson or use the Quizlet stack by clicking the icon to the right.
Research task: databases in the real world
At the end of this unit, your knowledge and understanding will be assessed by completing a practical database task and answering theory questions in an online test. Key features:
- The test should take approximately 15 minutes, but you can take up to 30 minutes if you need to.
- The questions will focus only on content covered in the knowledge organiser.
Your score from the task (60%) and the test (40%) will be combined to make your final result.
Practice & revision activities